he Northumberland and Durham Bulldog Club was founded in 1899. It was formed with the object of promoting the breeding of pure Bulldogs of the true type in the counties of Northumberland and Durham also adopting the standard of the Bulldog Club Incorporated. The annual subscription was IOS. 6d. which was due on the 1st December of each year, or at the time of election.
CH DUNVEGAN FALESTON RODNEY
Throughout the years many shows were held. In the mid 1900’s Northumberland & Durham Bulldog Club fixed a date, Saturday 5th November to host their next Specialist Club Members’ show. This venue took place at the Co-operative Hall, Green Street, Sunderland; Mrs. J.M. Prothero-Wood judged 14 classes which commenced at 2pm.
There was to be prize money for each class and also Best in Show. (Winner of 5 Challenge Certificates). At the Sunderland and District Open Show which was held at Seaburn on Whit Monday The Northumberland and Durham Bulldog Club guaranteed 75 per cent of the Bulldog classes. Mr. F.C. Blythe, of Coral Reef Kennels, Middlesbrough was judge; he had an average of just over 7 dogs per class. In total there were 57 entries over 8 classes with 24 exhibits. This was Mr. Blythe’s first effort at an Open Show and his placings met with the general approval of exhibitors and also the large crowd around the ring.
In 1950 The Northumberland and Durham Bulldog Club applied for permission to hold a Championship Show in Newcastle upon Tyne.
To the great concern of all club members this was refused.
The club held its centenary in 1999 and continues to host an extremely successful series of Open, Limit and Breed Championship shows. We have a rising number of members to the club., our selected venue for all shows is Bowburn Community Association located conveniently just off the A1 junction 61.
©2013 Northumberland and Durham Bulldog Club